THE PERFECT PINA COLADA
Delicious easy homemade pina colada is the perfect staple for summer. Learn how to make this refreshing drink for your next gathering. All you need are some tropical flavors like frozen pineapple, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, lime and some tajin seasoning.
Traditionally, pina coladas are made with rum. You can certainly add rum if you prefer. My kids absolutely love the flavor of pina coladas and it’s something we enjoy often during the summer months. Pina coladas are actually very easy to make with few delicious ingredients. I promise you will surprise yourself and your friends at your next summer party.
PINA COLADA INGREDIENTS
FRESH PINEAPPLE: I have always made this drink with fresh pineapple chunks that I freeze. The fresh pineapple is what is really going to elevate your cocktail.
PINEAPPLE JUICE: I buy the small cans of pineapple juice, so the entire large bottle is not wasted.
CREAM OF COCONUT: This is sweetened coconut cream that has the consistency of thick syrup. This is used to sweeten many tropical drinks. Two brands you will find at the grocery stores are coco real and coco lopez. Make sure you are not using coconut cream that comes in a can. Cream of coconut will give the pina colada that creamy consistency. If you can’t find cream of coconut you can add coconut milk. Keep in mind coconut milk will not have any sweetness so you will have to add more pineapple juice or additional sweetener.
LIME JUICE: Rubbing the rim of glass with lime juice add extra flavor and will help the tajin seasoning stick to the rim.
TAJIN SEASONING: This is a unique blend of chili peppers and sea salt. It’s tangy, salty but not spicy. This is the perfect savory accompaniment to this delicious pina colada.
THE PERFECT PINA COLADA
- high speed blender
- 1 cup fresh pineapple that was frozen (cubed)
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup cream of coconut (like coco lopez or coco real)
- 1 cup crushed ice
- squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Tajin chili lime seasoning to rim the glasses
- Take wedge of lime and rub the lime on the rim of the glasses. Place the Tajin seasoning in a small plate. Dip the rims of the glasses in the seasoning. Set aside
- Place pineapple juice, cream of coconut, frozen pineapple, ice and some lime juice in the blender.
- Blend till all mixed. Adjust the consistency and taste by adding more pineapple juice or ice or cream of coconut.
- Garnish glasses with fresh pineapple wedge. Serve cold