This easy Szechuan Chicken stir fry is loaded with fresh veggies and easy delicious sauce made with hoisin sauce, chili paste, rice vinegar, sugar and Szechuan peppercorn chili oil. With just a few ingredients you don’t have to rely on bottled stir fry sauces. This is a great quick and easy dinner that everyone will enjoy.Chinese food is one of my favorite foods. The flavors and ingredients are amazing.
Flavors of Szechuan come from the Sichuan Province in China. This style of Chinese cuisine has spicy bold flavors. The unique chili favors come from the Sichuan peppercorn from this province.
If you have a wok that would be great to use. A wok is round shaped vessel very thin usually made of carbon steel.
Have all ingredients prepped. Stir frying cooking technique is very quick.
Proteins choice for this recipe can be: chicken, beef, pork, shrimp or fish.
Vegetables can be whatever you like or have on hand. Some other options are cabbage, carrots, snap peas, peas, zucchini. You can add less or more.
I did not add any extra salt because usually Asian condiments have added sodium.
This had a mild spice level. Adjust the chili paste and chili oil to taste.
I have served it with boiled jasmine rice.
SZECHUAN CHICKEN STIR FRY
- 1 lb. chicken tenders cut into small/med. pieces. (you can also do chicken breast or thighs)
- 3 tbsp. corn starch
- 1/2 baby corn
- 1/2 red/green bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- small can of chestnuts (optional)
- 2 tbsp. fresh garlic (grated or finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp. ginger (grated or finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. chili paste (adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. neutral cooking oil like vegetable/canola/peanut oil
- 1 tbsp. chili oil (adjust to taste or leave out this is hot)
- Served with boiled jasmine rice
- Make the sauce-in small bowl combine chicken broth, hoisin sauce, vinegar, chili paste, sugar & 1 tbsp. cornstarch. Whisk well and set aside.
- Combine 2 tbsp. cornstarch to chicken, toss well and coat chicken.
- Heat a nonstick wok or deep skillet over medium/high heat. Add chicken. Stir-fry chicken about 3 minutes. If you have to cook chicken in batches.
- Add ginger/garlic stir-fry until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Mix sauce again and add to chicken.
- Add broccoli & baby corn cook just until tender for few minutes.
- Add bell peppers & chest nuts. I don't cook down the peppers. Sauce will be thickened.