GARLIC BUTTER STEAK & POTATOES SKILLET
This skillet steak and potatoes is a gourmet meal yet simple for every day. It’s a one-pan family style, quick and easy recipe that just doesn’t get any better. Juicy and tender ribeye steak, pan seared potato wedges with a side of bread and salad gives you a complete meal in no time! My kids absolutely love having steak like this.
Why should you try this skillet Steak Bites & Potatoes?
- Build confidence making steak at home
- Cheaper steak night at home
- Great way to get more servings out of few steaks
- No special prep, literally cooks under 30 minutes
- Fulfilling home cooked meal
BEST STEAK TO USE FOR THIS RECIPE?
It’s best to use tender cuts of meat for this type of recipe, because the steak is meant to cook quickly. Cuts of meat like sirloin, tenderloin, New York strip or stir fry cuts will work great. I used ribeye steaks because this cut of meat has the perfect amount of fat for flavor. For this cut, fast cooking methods using high heat produce the most delectable results. Try to avoid using flank and skirt steak for this recipe.
HOW TO MAKE STEAK TENDER?
I let the steak marinade with the seasoning but it’s not a requirement. Once you are ready to cook the steak make sure it’s not cold. Cold cuts of meat that are added to a hot pan will get tough. Keep it covered on the counter to take the chill off. Keep the heat high to get a good sear on the meat.
USING A CAST IRON PAN
For this dish I used my cast iron skillet. This is a heavy bottom pan and it doesn’t get ruined on high heat. If seasoned properly it’s a great non-stick, allowing the steak to sear and release easily. You can also use a heavy-bottom stainless-steel. Keep in mind stainless-steel pans are more prone to sticking, additional oil may be needed. These types of pans will give the steak a great sear.
GARLIC BUTTER STEAK AND POTATOES SKILLET
- 2 Ribeye steaks (cut into small bite size)
- 2 Teaspoon grilling or burger seasoning. I used McCormick hamburger seasoning
- 2 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 4 rustic potatoes (cut into wedges )
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 Teaspoon salt/pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1⁄4 Teaspoon chili flakes
- Fresh parsley & rosemary
- In a medium bowl, combine the steak pieces with seasoning, Worcestershire sauce and oil. Cover and set aside, allow to marinate while you get potatoes ready.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat oil and butter. Once butter melts add the potatoes. Season with salt/pepper and chili flakes. Toss well and let the potatoes sear on both sides nice and golden brown. You can turn heat down cover and cook till fork tender. If you see that potatoes are getting too crispy but not tender, add few tablespoons of water to the pan cover and allow to get tender. This can take about 8-10 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a plate, keep warm.
- In same skillet over medium high heat add oil and butter. Once butter is melted add garlic. Give the garlic about 5-10 seconds, lay the steak pieces down in one layer. Sear for 1-2 minutes on each side. Adjust the time depending on how well you like your steak. Add the potatoes back in the pan. Garnish with some chopped parsley and rosemary. Serve right from the pan with a side of bread and salad.