EASY BERRY BAKED DESSERT
This gorgeous summer dessert is perfect for any occasion. Using seasonal sweet strawberries, raspberries, blueberries & blackberries, baked using a premade pie crust, so it’s simple and fancy.
This dessert is similar to cobblers, crumbles, crisps & galette. They all are similar to a pie; all have some sort of fruit fillings. Cobblers have a biscuit topping; crisps have oat streusel topping and a crumble is similar to a crisp just without the oats in the topping. Galette is a rustic looking pie, has the pie pastry bottom with fruit piled in the middle and the sides of the pastry folded or wrapped over the fruit, it can be made sweet or savory.
This recipe is perfect if you are looking for something easy and delicious. This is a great make ahead dessert, because as it sets the juices thicken more. This dessert is delicious served cold or warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
PIE CRUST: I used the premade Pillsbury brand pie crust to save time. It was not frozen; you get 2 pie crusts in 1 pack. For the top I only used 1 pie crust. If you want thin cut strips for a more detailed design, go ahead and use the 2nd pie crust. Or just use 1 pie and cut strips very thin.
BERRIES: Use different varieties of berries, just make sure the total number of berries is 6 cups. You can definitely use some more berries if you are using a larger baking dish. I have also used frozen berries with this recipe. If the berries are very sweet, cut down on the amount of sugar.
LEMON JUICE: The lemon juice will soften the berries and also enhance the flavor.
CORNSTARCH: If you don’t have cornstarch use all-purpose flour. The cornstarch will help thicken all the juices from the berries.
EGG WASH: This will help caramelize the crust and prevent the pie crust from becoming soggy.
LATTICE PATTERN: You don’t have to make any pattern. Keep it simple by just cutting the pie crust into strips and any easy pattern. For the lattice pattern please see the recipe box for the details.
EASY BERRY BAKED DESSERT
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- zest & juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup sugar (if your berries are not that sweet adjust the sugar. I also like some tartness of the fruit.)
- 4 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. any raw coarse sugar for sprinkling
- 1 egg whisked with 1 tbsp. water to brush pastry
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a large bowl. Mix the berries with cornstarch, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Gently mix the berries.
- Spread this mixture into a lightly greased baking dish close to 11x7 size.
- Unroll the premade pastry dough. If it's sticking to your surface use some flour.
- Using a pastry cutter or knife cut into 1/2 inch-1-inch-wide stripes. (Depending on how detailed you want the pattern to be. You don't have to do the (weave) pattern, you could just lay the strips down)
- Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Mixture will be bubbly and berry juices will be thick.
- Serve warm or cold with scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- I kept my rectangle dish in a vertical position.
- lay the strips diagonally across the berries. Keep some gap in between depending on if you are using 1 or 2 pie crusts. Line the short strips towards the edges and longer strips in the middle.
- I first made the top half pattern than the bottom.
- To weave the lattice pattern. Pull back halfway every other strip that you just laid and place a new strip perpendicular to the strips you have down already. Then lay back the strips you first pulled back.
- Than do the same with the next set of strips, pull back every other strip. Entire surface will be covered in this weave pattern. Trim any edges of the long strips.
- Make a border using any scrapes with cookie cutter.