These chocolate chip cookie bars are soft and chewy and so easy to make. This is such a great way to enjoy chocolate chip cookies without rolling and baking multiple batches.
WHAT IS A BAR COOKIE?
Bar cookies are the ultimate potluck staple, but perfect if you are not into baking individual cookies. They are made from a batter or stiff dough, poured or pressed in a baking pan. These cookies can be single or multi-layered.
INGREDIENTS FOR CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARS
This cookie bar recipe is pretty straight forward with simple baking ingredients.
- Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature, especially the eggs and butter. This ensures that all ingredients mix well together and are baked evenly with the perfect texture.
- You can use dark brown sugar if you don’t have light brown. Cookie bars will be darker brown. If they are getting too brown you can cover them with foil towards the end of baking time.
- Butter is at room temperature which means just let it sit out and you should be able to make an imprint with your finger easily.
- You can also add in some variations. Add peanut butter chips, sprinkles or Nutella swirls.
HOW TO STORE THESE COOKIE BARS
These cookie bars can easily be stored at room temperature in an airtight container. I have personally not ever frozen these. Warm and serve.
HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BARS
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed )
- 2 eggs (at room temperature )
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 9X13 baking pan with parchment paper. You can spray the pan to help the parchment stick.
- In medium bowl add flour, salt and baking soda. Using a whisk mix well and set aside.
- In another large bowl add butter and sugars. Cream together until well combined. Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Add in the dry mixture and mix until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips, give it a quick mix until evenly distributed.
- Using a spatula press the cookie dough into the bottom of the prepared pan as evenly as possible.
- Add some extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes. Cookies are done when edges are golden brown, and center is set. Toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with dry crumbs. Place pan on cooling rack. Once cool enough to handle, using parchment paper lift the cookie bars out. Cut into squares and serve.