I never did like the soft texture of eggplants in a curry before. Whenever my mom would make Eggplant and potatoes I would never eat. But now I cut into smaller pieces, roast it and after it’s cooked, it almost becomes a mash. Now this dish has become one of my favorite curries.
This is a very popular vegetarian South Asian dish that you will also find in many Indian/Pakistani restaurants. But it’s actually very easy to make. I use basic spices and aromatics for this dish, like all my other recipes.
EGGPLANT CURRY w/ POTATOES aka Baingan Bharta
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves about 1 1/2 tbsp. minced
- 1 green chili chopped
- 2 small potatoes (cut into 2/3 inches piece)
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1/4 tsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup oil
- fresh cilantro to garnish
- Extra water
- Preheat your oven to roasting temp. Broiling, 425, 450 or 475.
- Peel the eggplant, cut lengthwise and into small cubes.
- Lightly salt and toss eggplant in oil. I just used spray oil.
- Evenly spread on baking sheet. Roast 15-20 minutes. Toss once during roasting. Let it get a little charred.
- Heat oil in heavy bottom pan. Medium heat
- Add chopped onions, saute till light golden brown.
- Add green chopped chili, saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add cumin seeds & garlic. Saute till garlic not raw anymore. About 15 seconds.
- Add powdered spices and saute just for few seconds. Don't let spices burn. This brings out the oils and flavors of the spices.
- Add tomatoes, let cook down a little just for few minutes.
- Add eggplant & potatoes. Add about 1/3 cup of water. Mix well.
- Lower the heat, cover pot with lid and cook till potatoes are tender. About 15 minutes. Do check and make sure not sticking to bottom of pan. You can always add little water if sticking or if potatoes still not cooked.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro
- Enjoy with chapati/roti, pratha & naan. With a side of salad