ANDAY AND MATAR SALAN (eggs and peas)
If you are tired of having eggs for breakfast, well here is a perfect comforting easy one pot meal you need to make. This is a Pakistani eggs and peas dish called Anday Matar Salan, has the luscious gravy that we all love in South Asian cuisine. The base is made with aromatics and fresh tomatoes. Topped with hard boiled eggs and slight sweetness from the peas. Anday and Matar is the perfect dish for any day, especially busy weekdays.
This dish is easy and perfect for beginner home cooks to try out. I have some notes below, please do go over that. The key to making any salan (curry) is to really focus on the cooking techniques and methods, that is what I like to go over in every recipe.
- FRESH INGREDIENTS: I always try to use as many fresh ingredients as possible. You will notice a great difference in your cooking. Use fresh garlic, ginger and tomatoes.
- TOMATOES: I really prefer a smooth gravy in Pakistani dishes. One way to do that is by pureeing the tomatoes in a blender. If tomatoes are not that ripe, this helps break them down and cook evenly. To achieve the thick gravy I used 3 medium tomatoes.
- POWDER SPICES: The spices are simple, very standard Pakistani spices. You can adjust the red chili powder to your liking.
- CUMIN/MUSTARD SEEDS: These are added to hot oil, to bring out the flavor and aroma. You have to watch closely because they easily burn. As soon as you add these, turn the flame lower. You can surely skip the mustard seeds if you don’t have any.
- VARIATIONS: I also make this dish with potatoes. You can cube 2 medium potatoes. Add it with the tomatoes. It should take about 15 minutes for potatoes to get tender.
- SMOOTH SHORBA (GRAVY): This will happen by browning the onions and cooking down this mixture. You don’t want any large chunks of onions and tomatoes in this gravy. Before adding the water you need to sear this mixture. Once the water from the tomatoes has cooked off it will be more searing. This method is called bhun-ing. If masala is sticking you can add little water. You will see and hear it sizzling in the oil. There will be some separation of the oil from the masala mixture. This adds a depth of flavor as the aromatic and spices fry in oil.
ANDAY AND MATAR SALAN (eggs and peas)
- 8 Eggs hard boiled
- 1/3-1/2 cup neutral cooking oil (I used light olive oil)
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 green chilies (chopped )
- 4-5 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger (grated )
- 3 medium tomatoes (pureed to ensure smooth gravy)
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2-1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup water
- fresh cilantro to garnish 2-3 tbsp.
- Place eggs in saucepan cover with water, cover pan with lid let it come to rolling boil. Once boiling start set timer for 12 minutes. Than place under cool running water to stop cooking. Peel the eggs under running water. Place aside.
- In large pan heat oil. Once oil is hot add cumin and mustard seeds. Let these crackle for 5 seconds. Make sure not to burn these. Add onions and green chilies. Sauté till golden brown about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, sear for about 15-20 seconds.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and all the powered spices and peas. Keep heat to medium. Cook this mixture for about 10-15 minutes . This masala will thicken up and you will start to see some separation of oil from the mixture. This will ensure the raw tomatoes and spices have been cooked. If you feel the mixture is sticking to pan, just add a little water. If consistency is watery continuing cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Turn the flame lower and add water, this will make more gravy. Adjust the water depending on how thick or thin you like the gravy. Slice all the eggs in half and place in the gravy. Gently stir, put the lid on and continuing cooking for few more minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
The curry tasted so delicious and flavourful and the way you explained was so neat..I will do more often because at home everyone enjoyed .😇 – Thanks so much Shazia
I am so happy to hear that! I love it when the entire family approves of a dish. Appreciate the feedback 🙂