Hi friends! Aloo gobi is a very classic South Asian dish with cauliflower and potatoes. I always add peas to mine, the peas add just a little bit of sweetness and beautiful green color. I love dishes like these because they are one pot meals. This dish is easy, full of flavor and will become your family favorite too.
This is a dish that I have made so many times throughout the years. Everyone is usually expecting this delicious dish at family dinners. Aloo in Urdu means potato and gobi means cauliflower. I have really been trying to get all the classic/basic Pakistani dishes out to you guys. I am sure you guys will be surprised how easy this is to make.
Enjoy this dish with:
CAULIFLOWER CURRY WITH POTATOES/PEAS aka Aloo Gobi
- 1 small head cauliflower (cut into small florets. Rinse & set in colander.)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 medium potatoes (peeled and cut into small pieces than the florets, about 1/2-inch, keep in cold water to prevent browning)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp. fresh grated/minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 green serrano chili pepper (chopped (optional))
- 1/3 cup oil (I use a neutral or light olive oil)
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot, warm oil over med/high heat. Add onions sauté till light golden brown about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin seeds, chili pepper. Saute till garlic not raw anymore about 10-15 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and all powder spices saute for few minutes.
- Add cauliflower, potatoes, peas-mix well coat vegetables in all the masala.
- Let cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add 1/3-1/2 cup water. Depending on how much water was released from rinsed cauliflower/potatoes/tomatoes. You don't want too much water. You can always add little bit more water if the cauliflower/potatoes not done.
- Cook for another 10-15 minues till cauliflower/potatoes are tender. Extra water should be evaporated.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.