CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Delicious easy chocolate chip cookies with a slight crispy edge and chewy center. Fresh homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies are the next level when it comes to flavor and texture. This recipe is pretty straight forward with basic ingredients.
BUTTER: Make sure the butter is soft at room temperature and not melted. Before you start, leave the butter out for 1-2 hrs. Even if the butter still has a slight chill that will be fine.
SUGAR: I have baked these cookies with light and dark brown sugars. I do feel that dark brown gives more flavor and chewiness to the cookies and also adds some color.
ESPRESSO: The instant espresso is optional. I like the flavor of espresso with chocolate, brown sugar and vanilla extract.
EGGS: Before you start baking, leave the eggs out so they can come to room temperature. Addition of the extra egg yolk helps give the cookies the moist chewy texture.
SHOULD YOU CHILL THE DOUGH?
I did not feel the need to chill the dough. I bake them right away. If you feel the dough is very soft you can refrigerate then bake. You can freeze the dough. Just shape into individual size cookie balls and put on a tray let them freeze just enough to handle them. Then transfer to a freezer bag. When you are ready to bake, place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper and let them thaw then bake accordingly. I have not baked cookie dough from frozen.
Do not over bake cookies, even a few minutes past baking time will overtake them. Once baked, take off the hot cookie sheet and cool on the rack. Keep in mind all ovens have a slightly different temperature. I baked these at 375 F. If you feel like your oven is very hot at this temperature, then bake at 350 F.
Keep baked cookies in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Keep cookie dough in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
BEST CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup butter soft at room temperature (leave out 1-2 hrs. to get to room temperature, do not melt)
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. instant espresso powder (optional)
- 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk (at room temperature)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (Keep some extra to top the cookies.)
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder. Mix well and set aside.
- In separate medium bowl add butter and both sugars. With handheld mixer or stand mixer cream the butter and sugar. That should just take a few minutes, brown sugar can have clumps so mix well.
- Add vanilla, espresso and eggs and mix well.
- Now by hand mix in the dry flour mixture and chocolate chips.
- Place 2 tbsp of cookie dough on baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Top with extra chocolate chips.
- Oven rack should be in the middle. Bake cookies for about 10-12 minutes.
- Soon as you take the cookies out gently drop the cookie sheet on the counter few times. This will get rid of any doom that is on the cookies, will make them a little flat and create some crinkles. Cool cookies on a rack.
- Enjoy them warm and keep in airtight container.