Homemade healthy juice not only tastes better but preserves all the nutritional value from fresh fruits and vegetables. Fresh juice has more fiber, vitamins and minerals and the possibilities of flavor combinations are endless. This juice is a simple combination of beets, carrots and apples. Addition of lemon, fresh ginger and turmeric roots makes this fresh juice highly nutritious with health promoting properties.
HOW TO MAKE BEETROOT CARROT AND APPLE JUICE IN A BLENDER
I find beet juice to be very overwhelming on its own especially for the kids. It has a very earthy flavor that can resemble dirt. I like to scrub, rinse and peel the beets. Mixing it with different fruits and vegetables like carrots and apples makes it more appetizing. Always think of juice recipes as a blank canvas, add more or less of any ingredients.
Blend all ingredients with water till it’s a fine puree consistency. Depending on how concentrated or diluted you like the flavor of juice, adjust the water. Strain the blended produce through a filtration bag, cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer. You don’t have to strain all the pulp.
CARROTS: Scrub and rinse the carrots well. I don’t peel carrots. Cut into small chunks.
RAW BEETS: I used red beets. Scrub well and peel.
APPLES: Apples add a slight sweetness to the earthy flavor of beets without adding too much sugar. Scrub, rinse, core and cut the apples with skin on.
LEMON: This adds a natural preservative to the juice
GINGER: Scrub, rinse and peel if you would like.
TURMERIC ROOT: This is optional for juicing. I always have some on hand and like to use it in juices and smoothies. Looks similar to ginger.
JUICER OR BLENDER?
I had an inexpensive juicer while back that I never used much and ended up selling it at a YardSale. It had too many pieces to wash and just took up extra counter space. There are different options of juices to fit your space and budget. Juicers usually extract most of the fiber from fruits and vegetables so the juice can lack dietary fiber and produce more waste. If you were using a juicer for this recipe, you would not add the extra water, so juice will be in less quantity.
I love using my Vitamix blender to make different combinations of fresh juice for the kids. A powerful blender will blend and juice making it easier, healthier and ecofriendly. For juice all you have to do is blend all the ingredients then run the mixture through a filtration bag, cheesecloth or mesh strainer. This will separate the juice from the pulp. By using the blender, you have the option to extract as much fiber as you like in the juice. Blenders also have multipurpose use in the kitchen. So having a small appliance that does so much is more economical for me.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN JUICE & SMOOTHIE
- Pulp of juice is separated from fruits and vegetables
- Usually requires a juicer appliance
- Made in a blender
- Thick and creamy consistency
- Has whole fruits & vegetables, fiber keeps you full longer
- Addition of yogurt, milk or juice as the base
- Addition of grains and nuts
WHEN HAS JUICE GONE BAD?
It’s best practice to consume fresh juice right away. Because the juice has not gone through a pasteurization process, it does not have a long shelf life. If you have to store it, store it in a glass container in the refrigerator and consume within 1-2 days. Also check for signs of spoiling before consuming. Try adding some citrus like lemons, lime or orange as a preservative.
There are different ways to tell if your juice has spoiled. Check by smelling and checking for discoloration and mold on the juice. If you see any of these signs it’s best to throw it away.
TIPS FOR JUICING
- Wash your produce well to avoid dirt, pesticides and bacteria in your juice. Spraying with distilled vinegar, soaking produce in vinegar and baking soda works very well.
- Consume fresh juice right away. Because the juice is raw and is not pasteurized
- Make juices with more vegetables to provide nutrients and leave some fiber.
- Add some citrus like lemon, lime or orange to prevent some oxidation.
- Try out different combination of fruits and vegetables.
In addition to eating fruits and vegetables adding some fresh juice is a great way to add fresh fruits and vegetables to your diet. Juicing: What are the health benefits? – Mayo Clinic
BEET CARROT APPLE JUICE
- High powdered blender I use Vitamix
- 4 small red beets, chopped (rinsed, peeled and quartered)
- 3 medium carrots, chopped (rinsed, chopped into small chunks)
- 2 apples, chopped (rinsed, cored and quartered )
- 1 tablespoon size fresh ginger (rinsed)
- small piece of turmeric root (rinsed )
- 2-3 cups cold water
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Then place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the juice over. Use a large spoon or spatula to press the pulp and squeeze all of the juice out. Leave the strainer for a few more minutes to make sure you get most of juice out.
- Disregard the pulp. Pour the juice in a glass container or served in individual glasses and serve immediately. Store in fridge for 1-2 days.