BANANA MUFFINS RECIPE
These muffins are soft, moist and buttery. Only sweetened with the bananas and honey and some chocolate chips. These are the perfect snack I bake the kids whenever we need to use up those bananas. Adding some flaxseed meal really makes them a healthy breakfast or snack.
My kids never say no to anything that looks like a cupcake or muffin. These banana muffins are so much quicker and convenient to bake. Homemade banana muffins are a lot healthier and very easy to bake with simple ingredients.
BANANA MUFFIN INGREDIENTS
The ingredients that you need to bake these muffins are pretty simple. I’m going to go over some details for some of the ingredients below. Make sure the eggs and buttermilk are at room temperature. The melted butter should not be too hot.
- Flour: I have used all-purpose flour. Just make sure you give the flour a good sift before measuring out. Usually the flour is compacted, so you don’t want more than needed.
- Salt, cinnamon, vanilla: These add flavor. We don’t like the strong cinnamon flavor. You can add up to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Flaxseed meal: This ground seed is a great source of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. I really like to add to kids’ oatmeal, cupcakes or muffins and yogurts. It does not have a flavor; you just see some brown specks in the baked goods. Make sure it’s ground flaxseed.
- Bananas: Overripe bananas are perfect for banana bread or muffins. These will be sweet, and you don’t have to add extra sugar. I usually add 3-4 medium bananas.
- Buttermilk: Whenever I have buttermilk, I like to use it in baked goods. I have also made this recipe with milk and kefir. Just depends on what you have on hand.
- Honey: ⅓ cup of honey and ripe bananas are the perfect amount of sweetness. If you spray the measuring cup with some spray oil, the honey will just slide off.
HOW TO STORE MUFFINS
We enjoy these fresh muffins within 2-3 days at room temperature. I keep them covered in an airtight container with a paper towel, to prevent sogginess. Storing them under some sort of dome works well also.
Best way to enjoy these muffins is with a spread of butter or cream cheese!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon flaxseed meal (ground flaxseed)
- 3-4 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs (at room temperature )
- 1/3 cup buttermilk (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup butter (melted & slightly cooled )
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a small bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Set aside to cool for a bit.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and flaxseed meal. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mash, the bananas with a fork, add eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, honey and vanilla. Using a whisk, mix well. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and whisk until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly into the muffin pan. Add extra chocolate chips on top if you would like.
- Bake on the center rack for about 23-25 minutes. Muffins will be golden on top, and a toothpick inserted into the center will come out clean.