EGG SALAD SANDWICHES
The best Egg Salad Sandwiches that are made with simple ingredients and very customizable. When I think of these sandwiches I’m thinking spring, summer, picnics, tea parties, bridal and baby showers. All you need are hard boiled eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, onions, celery, fresh dill/chives, and your favorite sandwich bread. I promise you will make these again and again!
LET’S TALK ABOUT THE SIMPLE INGREDIENTS
EGGS: For hard boiled eggs, I bring the water to a boil then add the eggs and boil for about 10-12 minutes. Soon as the timer goes off, I drain the hot water and run cold water on the eggs, stopping the cooking. I find it easier to peel the eggs while hot. Then I cut the eggs in half separating the yolk from the white. I like to mash the yolks separately for a creamy texture. The whites I like to dice. You can definitely just mash them together.
Adding some fresh herbs to the type of salad can really elevate the flavor. I used dill and chives, but some parsley would also be fine.
MUSTARD: I like to use spicy brown mustard for a little intense flavor and country dijon mustard. You can use any mustard you have on hand. Just remember 1-2 tablespoons are usually needed. Add little, taste it and adjust.
BREAD: I used croissants because that’s what my kids enjoy. But use whatever sandwich bread you have on hand or enjoy. Rolls, buns, brioche, sourdough are all delicious.
HOW TO SERVE & STORE THIS EGG SALAD?
This salad is best served cold. Serve with salad greens like lettuce, watercress or arugula. You can also serve with crackers. These would also be great to make into mini sandwiches for any event.
You can make this salad ahead and keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
EGG SALAD SANDWICHES
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄2 small red onion (diced)
- 1⁄2 celery stick (diced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives (chopped)
- 1⁄8 tsp salt/pepper (adjust to taste)
- 4 croissants
- Paprika for garnish
- Add enough water to a small sauce to cover the eggs. Bring to a boil add the eggs. Put on timer for 10-1 minutes depending on the size of eggs. Drain hot water and fill the saucepan with cold tap water to stop cooking. While the eggs are still warm peel the eggs and set aside.
- Cut eggs in half and separate the yolk from the white. Chop the egg whites. In a medium bowl add yolks, mayonnaise, mustard, salt/pepper and mash with a fork until creamy. Now add the egg whites, onions, celery, dill and chives. Mix well, give it a taste and adjust any flavors. Spread on you favorite bread, sprinkle with paprika and enjoy.